- Truck behind me was tailgating the whole time.
- Parking lot is brightly lit.
- The pharmacy employee looked at me.
- Old white people asking for assistance.
- Lady at the counter has given me a weird look.
- How often do people see someone walking around here with a notebook & writing things down?
- I didn’t realize how dry my hands look under these bright lights.
- They have all types of vitamins…C, D, E, B12
- Sweet potatoes are 88 cents each.. I can find them cheaper at the swap meet.
- Driscoll’s berries…..don’t they exploit their workers?
- The floor is brown.
- Bud Light, 24 pack, $13.98
- I feel like I’m being watched.
- I’m growing increasingly paranoid.
- You can buy slices of a dead cow for the low price of $3.48
- El milagro tortillas.
- One of the produce aisles smells musty….must be the onions.
- The same family have been lingering for 5 minutes.
- 2 co-workers in conversation, clearly bullshitting and pretending to work. I don’t blame them.
- Little boy is staring at me.
- We made eye contact.
- I wanted to laugh.
- Group of guys my age, walking around, cracking jokes. Seems they’re here for fun.
- I estimate about 50 or more of me must stand on top of one another to reach the ceiling.
- I feel so small in this large space.
- I’m supposed to be here to BUY PRODUCTS…. Am I going against the grain?
- No, I’ll end up picking up a few things on my way out.
- Aloe vera sold here by the gallon.
- Security cameras are recording….do I look suspicious?
- There is a spill in the aisle without a wet floor sign…is this the financial opportunity I’ve been waiting for?
- I always forget I’m old enough to buy wine.
- Liquor sales hours are from 7 am to 11 pm, and 12 pm to 11 pm on Sundays.
- An empty plastic bag on the ground.
- When I hear people around me speaking in Spanish, I am immediately comforted.
- Takis are cheaper her than anywhere else I’ve seen.
- Why are cheese puffs so unnaturally bright orange? How can that appeal to anyone?
- It smells like cardboard and plastic in aisle 25.
- I’m starting to get hungry.
- Hard taco shells in the “tortillas” section…. An insult.
- La Morena brand has nice packaging. It’s been the same since I can remember.
- Topo-Chico mineral water has nice packaging too.
- There are 3 registers open.
- I prefer the self checkout so I can avoid interaction, but it has a long line.
- The parking lot is still the same.
- There’s a sign on the way home with bright flashing lights.
- The roads here are awful and full of potholes.
- The road is emptier and driving is more relaxing at this hour.
- There was a train and I had to make a detour.
- I like the comfort of pulling into my driveway.
- I am home.
10 Project Ideas
- Leave little notes on items.
- Place “women’s” items in the “men’s” section, vice versa.
- Take photos of things that remind you of the warmth of your home in this cold, uncomfortable environment. (I chose to do this one for now.)
- Take photos of yourself in every reflective surface you see.
- Place heads of lettuce on the meats.
- Turn all the boxes backwards so that the design on the front that’s meant to catch the consumer’s eye are useless.
- Place signs near the produce to remind people to think about the farmworker. (I still want to do this eventually.)
- Buy berries and grapes of different colors and make some type of mosaic out of them.
- Make a sculpture using plastic bags.
- Take close-up shots of produce so that they become abstract.
Photographs of things that reminded me of home.
produce of USA
as those before
Humanely raised (?)
to be consumed in a humane way
you’ll love this